How much does it cost for you to provide 10 – 15 meals for your family? From my own experience, I can tell you, it’s a whole lot more than $1. Feed America First’s mission is to get food to those who feed the hungry. More specifically, to feed our neighbors in need in local, small towns and rural communities.
Now comes the necessary, maybe boring to some, but super exciting to me…NUMBERS!
Do you know how many people it takes to make this happen in a normal WEEK…ONE WEEK? We receive over 250,000 pounds of food each week that an operations staff of 5 picks up and very temporarily packs on the shelves in our warehouse. After we receive the food, we depend on over a 100 volunteers to break it down and repackage it into distributable sizes. Then, over 40 partner agencies come to our warehouse to pick up the food and take it to their neighbors in need. We also have a weekly food distribution every Thursday morning in a different location in middle Tennessee where dozens of other partner agencies pick up food for distribution.
So obviously, people are a HUGE resource for us. Volunteers keep our salaries and payroll at a minimum. Thanks to local food distributors donating all of their food inkind (mostly perishable), the only thing we are required to purchase is rice and beans in bulk. (You’ll see how you can help with that later.)
The numbers are amazing for a staff of only 9 (I like to say 10, because without Christ, none of this is possible). Monthly totals look like this:
Over 900,000 pounds of food distributed
Over 400 volunteers needed
Over 180 partner agencies engaged in feeding
Over 30,000 families fed
Over 75,000 individuals fed
Once you’re done picking your jaw up off of the floor, you’re probably asking yourself how you could help with Feed America First’s mission. Well, I have a few ideas.
- Add Feed America First to your Kroger card. Every time you purchase items, a percentage goes to us. It costs you nothing.
- Add Feed America First to your Amazon Smile account. Every time you purchase items, a percentage goes to us. It costs you nothing.
- Sign up yourself or a group to volunteer repackaging items.
- Get a group together to purchase a ton of rice to be sorted at a specified time for $1,000. (provides 1,000 families with a 2 lb bag, which will make 48 servings)
- Play in our Drive Out Hunger Golf Challenge at Westhaven Golf Club in Franklin, TN on May 2nd.
- Attend our Dancing with the Nashville Stars event at The Factory in Franklin on October 27th.
- Sign up to be a monthly Pantry Provider.
- Give monetarily via our website at www.feedamericafirst.com or mail a check to Feed America First, 1715 S. Rutherford Blvd., Suite K #257, Murfreesboro, TN 37130.
- Have a Food Drive
So how is it possible to do this for only $1?
VOLUNTEERS…PARTNER AGENCIES… INKIND FOOD DONATIONS…MONETARY DONATIONS…GRANTS…FUNDRAISING EVENTS…and a whole lot of FAITH.